Putting Yourself Out There

Image by 정훈 김 from Pixabay
 
As a writer, I am always looking for ways to get myself and my work out to potential readers. Doing things online can be beneficial, but getting out and meeting people face to face can also be beneficial.

However, this process isn’t always easy, especially because I have anxiety and depression. Some days I’m scared to death and imagine that others will think I’m a fraud or ridiculous or have nothing of value to say. Other days, I’m too tired to even try.

The first year after we moved to Nebraska, both anxiety and depression had a huge impact on me. It was hard to do much of anything, let alone get out and interact with people. Seriously, I couldn’t even write without having a panic attack, so attending conferences or conventions wasn’t even an option.

I slowly got back into going to conventions, and the first one I participated in was O! Con in Omaha. After being there, I realized how much I missed that environment and mingling with people. I decided I needed to get back on the horse.

This year has been my year. So far, I’ve been to Crypticon in Seattle and O! Con in Omaha. Both were so much fun. I hope I get to go back next year. I’m already brainstorming some new panels/discussions!

In addition, I get to participate in the Wyoming Author Day in Torrington in August. I will also be going to the MAPACA conference in Philly. This one is much more research and literary based, but it’s still a lot of fun. The last time I was there was several years ago. This year’s theme is zombies, and Philly is where George Romero started, so you know I had to go.

I also have a library presentation set up for October, as well as participating in a state conference. I can’t tell you how excited I am! All of these are going to be so much fun, and I get to hang out with people who have the same interests I do!

If you’ve never been to a conference or a convention, I highly recommend checking one out. You don’t have to dive right in and start doing presentations or workshops (although you can if you want). Being a face in the crowd and attending panels or oohing and aahing over celebrities can be a lot of fun too.

In case you were wondering, there is a difference between a convention and a conference. While both can be educational, a conference is usually geared more toward research and people sharing their work. A convention is when people dress up as their favorite characters and meet famous people.

Both can be a great way to mingle and meet some amazing people, and both have the opportunity to learn new things—they just do it in very different ways.

Now, please don’t think that going to conferences and conventions has cured me of my ailments. They haven’t. I still get incredibly anxious before going “on stage” at these things. Being nervous is to be expected, but having anxiety means I go from being okay to thinking the world is going to end in about 1/10 of a second.

They can be incredibly exhausting, which can lead to depression and feeling like no one is listening to what I have to say or they don’t really care.

However, they do help in breaking me out of my shell. They allow me to feel like I have a place and a voice in this world. It may only be for a weekend, but sometimes that’s all I need. It’s really nice to get out and do something I enjoy. I will never be fully free of anxiety and depression, but conventions and conferences help me find new ways to cope and get me outside of my head.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)