Life in Nebraska: A Yearly Update

Thanks for being so patient with my sporadic posts so far this month. Life has been incredibly busy, and I haven’t had a chance to write like I had hoped.

And speaking of this month, it marks 5 years since I moved to Nebraska, so now is a good time to update you on what’s been happening.

Where Did the Time Go?


First of all, I want to say: FIVE YEARS?! WHAT THE HELL! WHERE DID THAT TIME GO?

I often find myself calculating in my brain if 5 years have really passed; only to realize that they have. My oldest was in 5th grade when we got here, and he was the first class to be moved to the middle school.

This coming school year, he’ll be a sophomore in high school. (WTF!)

My youngest will be an 8th grader. (Double WTF!!)

Some days, all I can think is that it’s not possible for me to have two teenagers. Wasn’t I just 25, like, yesterday? My sense of humor definitely doesn’t scream middle-aged mom.

Then there are the days when my kids amaze and inspire me, and I can’t wait to see the humans they grow into. I’m proud to be the mother of such astounding young men.

My oldest is almost taller than me, and he loves pointing out how short I’m getting. That says a lot because I’m 5’9”.

Surviving Hardships


Life in Nebraska hasn’t been what I expected. There has been a lot of hardships and major life changes. For half of the time I’ve lived here, I have been divorced. Life has been turned upside down, and trying to figure out how to move forward and deal with the unexpected has pushed me to the brink.

There has been a lot of heartache. Not only with the humans in my life, but with my fur babies as well. But adding 5 years to their life will do that. As much as I want to believe they are still young (and trust me, I do), they aren’t. And that becomes more apparent with each passing year.

But I’m still here.

And I’ve learned a lot about myself.

That has probably been one of the best things that has happened since living here. The road to self-discovery hasn’t been easy, but the results speak for themselves.

I have found a job that I adore. I never imagined that I would enjoy being a teacher, but I do.

The best part is that not only do I get to teach college-level writing, but I also teach a literature class — and literature classes are the reason why I became an English major in the first place. I’m fully aware that most of my students don’t share my passion for critically reading stories, but that doesn’t stop my excitement.

The boys are coming into their own when it comes to school and grades, but they have faced some hardships of their own. As teenagers, it’s expected. We all do what we can to get through and make it to another day.

What the Future Holds


It’s hard to say what the future in Nebraska might hold, but right now, we’re getting by as best as we can. I wouldn’t say I’m loving it; there are more times I despise where I’m at, but it is what it is.

Time will continue to fly, and there will be good times and bad.

Life will continue to happen, and we’ll take it as it comes.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)