Finding Strength


In the pursuit of information and ways to cope with my anxiety and depression, I have learned a lot about
I’ve bought self-help books (and read them) and even did a CBT workbook. I’ve developed my own thought worksheets and started meditating. I’ve looked for guidance on letting things go and found techniques and tricks to keep myself grounded. I downloaded Youper on my phone as another tool to help with my issues.

While setting up my Youper account, I took a personality test, and the results came back that I’m an INFJ. This is about the sixth time I’ve been told I have that personally type, so there must be some truth to the results.

I read articles and books about what it means to be an INFJ and dug deep into my heart and soul to discover who I truly am and to get to the root of my anxiety and depression.

Pretty much all of these things have been helpful in some way. I’ve gained insight and knowledge, but I had to combine the information with other practices if I was going to find success.

Having information is a good thing, but to overcome anxiety and depression, I had to do more than read. I had to act. It’s not always easy finding the motivation to change your life, and everyone has methods that work better or differently for them, but this is the process that is pulling me out of darkness.

1. Therapy

Having a safe place where I can talk about my innermost issues, fears, and hopes is fantastic. It’s also really nice to have a trained professional help me make sense of what’s going on in my brain and find ways to overcome.

If you’re not in therapy or you’re on the fence about going, I recommend it. Keep in mind that everyone is different and therapists have various skills and training, so take the time to find one you feel comfortable with and enjoy talking to.

2. Building my self-esteem

If I can’t feel good about myself, how can I feel good about others? Anxiety and depression both work hard to tear down your self-worth and make you feel less than. Building this back up is beneficial and reminds you that you are so much more than your mental issues.

3. Being grateful

There’s this notion that for life to be worth living, we have to be happy. This is a narrow way of looking at it because life isn’t always happy. It’s full of ups and downs. Instead of being happy, I’m looking for ways to be content. If I aim to be happy and miss the mark, then that gives my brain a reason to claim I failed. By being content, I can find ways to cope with happiness, sadness, anger, and all the other emotions without feeling like a failure.

To do this, I find things to be grateful for. They don’t have to be major. Some days, I’m thankful that the sun is shining. Other days, I’m thankful to have a space heater at my feet while I work from home.

Big or small, there are things to be thankful for and to remind you that life isn’t all doom and gloom. It takes three seconds to find three things to be thankful for, and I usually list different things three times a day.

At night, right before I drift off to sleep, I think of three things that made me happy or that I accomplished during the day. Again, they don’t have to earth changing, but they are things that are important to me.

Some people keep a gratitude journal, and this is a great idea. When you write things down, you have the ability to go back and look at them whenever you need. I should probably start doing that…


4. Writing

This is so important to me. Being creative helps me cope and makes me feel good about myself, so I need to make time to engage in the activity and enjoy developing characters and worlds.

5. Taking it one day at a time

Every day is a new chance to find and maintain my calm. Getting over my issues will take time and dedication, but it can (and will!) be accomplished. Worrying about the future is what makes me anxious, and looking to the past brings on depression. Taking life one day at a time keeps me grounded in the present.

For all of you out there struggling with anxiety and depression: you’re not alone. There are ways to get your life back, but you have to be willing and dedicated. You have to show up and find a process that works for you.

I have faith in you. I know you can do it. You’re amazing!

 Photo by Mark Tacatani from Pexels 
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)