Meet An Author Friday: Nicholas Paschall


Born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, Nicholas Paschall earned his bachelors degree in History from the University of Texas at San Antonio. He started writing when he was young, but he first started his horror career in 2011 with a short story published in Dark Moon Digest. He's been in many anthologies, including Shadows and Teeth Volume Three, What Dwells Beneath, and the upcoming Nickel Nightmares. His first published novel was the Father of Flesh, but in 2018 he has whole set of novels coming out for his readers to enjoy. In early Spring, he has Bleak Dawn: Hunters of the Dead-Witches War and Travels to Teyuna. He can be found at random conventions, willing to discuss anything you have on your mind. In his personal time, he whittles away the hours of the day writing, editing, and tinkering on his website.

What works/authors have had an impact on you professionally or personally? How?
I'd be lying if I said Stephen King didn't influence me as a writer, as for my generation he was the one to breathe life back into the horror genre. He paved the way with rabid dogs and killer clowns so that we could all enjoy a good zombie story, while others like Anne Rice brought attention to vampires in a way that made the creative minds in the blackest literary circle declare a war against the romantic bloodsucker. I have a fondness for Vonnegut that extends into the surreal, as his work often does, and I like Michael Crichton for his birth of the modern day sci-fi involving dinosaurs and theme parks. As a member of the 90's kids, I'd say that R.L. Stine stirred the pot for us, while Silent Hill and Resident Evil left us afraid to go to sleep at night. There are so many influences and great names to drop that just the few I've mentioned barely manage to scratch the surface.

If you could be a famous person (living or dead) for a day, who would you be and why?
If I were to just be carry-on metal luggage that could observe? I think I'd choose Vlad the Impaler, just to see what was going through his mind when he planned his battles or ordered thousands to their grisly deaths. If I got to take over the person, then I'd say William Shakespeare during the height of his career, just to see what the life of a playwright during the day was like. Maybe see what he was working on and if it was something I recognized.

What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
A box of baking soda that I cannot remember buying.

Dessert or no dessert? Why? If dessert, what is your fave?
I remember when I was a kid Olive Garden had a dessert called the Brownie Decadenza. It was a warm brownie (no nuts!) in a margarita glass with vanilla ice cream and hot sauce. They had it for years, and it was my sole reason to eat there whenever we would go out. My parents could order whatever nasty vegetable or exotic food for me and I would happily indulge them, if only to get that treat.

What is your favorite motivational quote?
"This may not serve for long, but long enough is all I need." Something my father used to say when he would repair machines for his business instead of replacing them right off the bat. I use that idea in a lot of ways, as I can move figurative mountains with the shoe-string budget that saying promotes. I'm in the process of fixing up my house just for my own habitation, and have used cheap replacements for doors, doorknobs, and ceiling fans in areas where the only people who see them are my wife and I. Yes, I will have to replace them someday when we plan on moving, but when we do replace them for the showcasing of the house, they'll be brand new and we can promote the house as having recent work done without lying.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)