Sunday, December 15, 2013

DRAGONS!

The Hobbit:  The Desolation of Smaug came out on Friday.  I haven't seen it yet, and I don't plan on seeing it in the theater.  The films are too long for me to sit in those seats.  I like to watch them in my house so I can pause them and go to the bathroom.

The exciting thing about his film is the dragon.  I LOVE dragons.  LOVE them!  I love them in all forms--as destroyers or as helpers.  I remember the first dragon movie I watched, Dragonslayer.  Scared the hell out of me.  The scene with the baby dragons eating the princess was a little disturbing for my young mind.  But it also intrigued me.

In high school, I read some of the Dragonriders of Pern books.  I really enjoyed them, but I don't really what they're about.  It's been a loooong time.  Perhaps it's time to pick them up again.

Reign of Fire came out while I was working on my first draft of Wucaii.  I remember going to the theater to see it with my family.  It was a great film.  I remember hoping that dragons were going to become the next movie monster and there would be a high demand for them.  My hope was that my book would get picked up by a publisher, but dragons never really took off.  And, thankfully, I didn't actually finish the book at that time.  It still needed a lot of work!

There are numerous other examples of films and books that I read that involved dragons, but not all of them had the impression that these ones made.  I'm hoping with the next installment of The Hobbit films that dragons will make a comeback.

My book Wucaii was influenced by my love affair with the reptilian creatures, but I added my own twist to it.  Check it out if you get the chance and let me know what you think.


In celebration of the dragon, I'm going to have a giveaway.  The first three people who comment on this post with their favorite dragon book or movie will get an ecopy of Wucaii.  Don't forget to leave a way for me to contact you!

Hooray for dragons!

3 comments:

Paula Millhouse said...

Hi Pembroke!
Dragons...ah, my friend, you will not be disappointed with Smaug, I promise.
I saw the movie yesterday - no spoilers, of course, but yes he was the best CGI dragon in film history, IMHO.
I share your love for Dragons. Smaug was the first dragon I fell in love with in the mid-eighties when I first read The Hobbit.
My Lunchbox Romance Dragonstone has a young dragon named Magnus, and he's stolen the show from all other dragons I've ever read.
Are the dragons in your story?

Paula Millhouse said...

Oops! Email me @ pmillhose.1@gmail.com
Thanks,
Paula

Pembroke Sinclair said...

Thanks for commenting, Paula. I'm looking forward to seeing what Smaug looks like. I'm sure it will be exceptional!

Do you have another email? I've tried to send you two messages and they keep bouncing back. Maybe you should send me an email. My address is on the page on the right hand side.

Thanks!