Pacific Rim

The spouse and I watched Pacific Rim last night.  When I first watched the preview, I thought it looked like Power Rangers on steroids.



After watching the film, I still think that.  Think about it:  in the Power Rangers, four kids have to learn to work together in a giant robot to fight monsters.  In Pacific Rim, two people have to learn to fight together in a giant robot to fight monsters.

Thankfully, the acting and the special effects were a bit better in Pacific Rim than they are in Power Rangers.  And there wasn't that weird scene cut where they are fighting a monster in the woods, then it grows large and suddenly they are in the city.  That happens quite a lot in Power Rangers.

The film had some issues, but on the whole, it was fun.  The Kaiju were freaking awesome!  The flying one was my absolute favorite, although the others had some endearing qualities.  I love films that have great aliens.  I'll even watch horrible films if the aliens are cool.  For example, the Species movies.  They weren't very good, but the aliens rocked!

After the day I had yesterday, it was really nice to unwind with a film full of fights and awesome creatures.  It was pretty predictable, but there is nothing wrong with mindless entertainment full of eye candy.  It's my favorite kind of film!

I'm still trying to figure out why the movie was over two hours long.  I'm not really sure it needed to be.  I know they were trying to play up the fragile human emotion side, but I wanted more monsters and fights.  Bring on the bad asses!  I also think Charlie Hunnam should have taken his shirt off more.

It would also be a lot of fun to deconstruct the film. The main thing that stuck out to me was the fact that it was a global fight, yet the only one who could actually save the world was the American with the outdated nuclear power.  Perhaps I'll find some time to write an article about that.

Pacific Rim was a lot of fun and full of action.  It had really cool monsters and a fairly decent story line.  I really enjoyed it.  I would own it!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)