Black Adagio by Wendy Potocki


Wendy Potocki lives and writes in NYC. If that isn't scary enough, she writes in the genre of horror. She feels creating good horror is an art form. She religiously devotes herself to pursuing it over hill and dale -- and in the crevices of her keyboard.

Named one of the Top Ten "New" Horror Authors by Horror Novel Reviews, she has six self-published novels. Book trailers for many of her works may be found on her official website wendypotocki.com/. Her next planned projects are Thrill, The Virgin, and ZaSo, a Gothic tale of horror.

In her spare time, she loves to go for long walks, drink Starbucks Apple Chai Lattes, make devotional offerings to her cat named Persephone, and be stilled by the grace, beauty and magic of ballet.

Web
Twitter
Facebook Author page

Book Trailers

Black Adagio
The Vampire's Game
The House of Cards
The Man with the Blue Hat





Melissa Solange is presented the chance of a lifetime. Chosen as a member of a new dance company, she works tirelessly perfecting the one element of ballet she's never mastered—the adagio. As she rehearses, a dark force watches. Resurrected by the surprise addition of a classic ballet to the repertoire, the sinister work is thought to be cursed—destroying anyone who attempts to dance it.

When the production's lead dancers begin to disappear, the old warning is taken more seriously. A death worshipping cult called The Innocents is blamed, but she is not so sure. They may be the scapegoat for an ultimate evil living in the woods of Holybrook. Desperate for an answer, she searches for what lurks in the shadows of the old trees before she becomes the next victim of the Danse Macabre.


Amazon 

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
I had the inspiration for Black Adagio many years ago. I was about seventeen, and the thought of being a writer hadn’t even hit my brain. Nonetheless, I was bopping down the street and got struck with this insane idea. It was a scene. One that played in my head like a movie. It featured a ballerina being attacked by … well, by something you’d never want to meet.

There was no story other than that one central idea, but that one moment was so compelling that it stuck with me. Many years later, when I was actually writing, I revisited the concept and decided it was time to flesh out the paranormal tale.

I was surprised how easily the rest filled in and delighted that I brought Melissa Solange to life. If you’ve ever had a passion so strong that it consumes you, you’ll identify with her drive to dance.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
The actual writing took three months, but the editing? It took forever. I mean, forever. I had written THE HOUSE OF CARDS at the same time I wrote Black Adagio. I got caught up in editing both and wanted to throw the stories, my laptop and myself out the window. The only thing that stopped me was the realization that I lived on the first floor and wouldn’t get hurt.

If it hadn’t been for that—splat!

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
Losing myself in the story. Authors really do get to visit the world they’ve created. We’re silent witnesses to our character’s lives. In the case of Black Adagio, I developed a strong affection for my young dancer. Melissa is brave beyond belief, and I was in awe of how she handled her personal baggage, the strenuous demands placed on aspiring ballerinas and the fearlessness she used to confront the paranormal.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
EDITING! Oh, did I scream that out loud? Sorry, but it often happens when I’m forced to use that word. Truthfully, I hate editing. Hate it with a glowing, red-hot passion that is superseded only by—nothing, really. It’s the ultimate horror.

It’s a necessary evil, but it’s time-consuming, laborious and repetitive. I often say that authors better love what they write because they’ll be reading it about a thousand times. That’s what’s demanded during this process.

In order to make it easier, I rationalize. I try to think of all those delectable Parisian couture creations that float down the runway. For that to happen, it requires somebody to sit and trim off all the loose threads. Only after that backbreaking work can the finished product rock the house. That’s editing in a nutshell.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
I guess I’d opt for Lindsey Lohan. The reason is pretty simple—she’s my polar opposite. The girl does more in an hour than I do in a lifetime. My personal routine is staid, ordered and methodical. I don’t paint outside the lines while Lindsey lives there. I might not survive the twenty-four hours, but I’d get to sample what it means to do what I wanted, when I wanted and not care about the consequences. It’s so different than my approach because I care about everything. I’m a big weenie.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
It’s a skin cream that’s about one year old. It contains ginseng and aloe vera and it’s the most amazing stuff ever. If I burn myself cooking, I smear it on and the redness disappears before my eyes. I’ve also used it on scratches. While it’s not recommended to keep in the fridge, I want to keep it viable for as long as possible. It’s staying.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
Lots of good stuff.

I have about five WIP’s going on. Juggling those is challenging and fun. The five include two mystery series, an occult series, a werewolf novel and a retro horror story. All are a total joy to write.

My next published work is entitled Thrill. It’s about a teenager named Kyle Evans. He wants to be somebody. To achieve that goal, he joins a gang called Hell's Bells. He quickly discovers that the club is obsessed with finding thrills and taking chances. Up for a dare, Kyle accepts a challenge and finds that some rides should never be taken.

I should add that I’m committed to keeping my readers on their toes. My motto: Expect the unexpected because that’s what you’re going to get. My other motto? Keep the machetes high.

Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)