Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tough Question Tuesday

Is it wise to put all of your stories in one publisher's basket, or should you spread the love around to others?

I really like my publisher, and I'm pretty sure they like me. But sometimes I feel like I'm inundating them with my work, maybe pulling them away from other authors because I send so many stories. But that's what I do, I write.

I have a story coming out from a different publisher, and I'm contemplating sending them another. I have a submission of some short stories, but I'm not sure where to send them. Do you think my publisher wants them? Or do you think another person deserves a shot?

I'm really torn here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This is just my opinion - and my books aren't published yet - but I feel that a writer and publisher should build a strong working relationship with each other. Both striving for the same thing...making your books better and getting them out to the public to enjoy. So I suppose I lean toward sticking with a publisher you feel is doing the job and doing it well.

However, you also have to consider the work you are subbing. I have a great publisher. I have two books releasing in 2012 and I'll likely send them my WIP. BUT, I'm not sure if they are the right pick for my children's adventure. So I am researching other houses that specialize in children's stories.

I guess I'm on both sides of the fence on this. :)

Michelle
Author of Concilium, available July 2012
Concilium: The Departure, November 2012

www.Michelle-Pickett.com
www.Conciliumbooks.com

Pembroke Sinclair said...

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing that out!