“Ghost Dog of Roanoke” by C.K. Volnek



Hi Pembroke. Thanks for allowing me to visit your blog today. It is such a treat to be able to visit with so many new people. I’m so excited to be here today. Today is my Book Birthday! And I’m so excited I’m offering a FREE copy of my e-book or a free t-shirt to one lucky reader who leaves me a comment!


GHOST DOG OF ROANOKE ISLAND



In 1587, 117 colonists disappeared from Roanoke Island without a trace, leaving behind not only unanswered questions, but a terrifying evil.

Now it’s up to twelve year-old Jack Dahlgren to unravel the age-old mystery and save his family from the hateful beast that haunts the island.

With the help of newfound friend, Manny, a Native American shaman, and an elusive Giant Mastiff, Jack must piece together the clues of the Lost Colony to discover what really happened. Shrouded in ancient Native American folklore, it's up to Jack to uncover what the evil is and why it haunts his island. But can he destroy it...before it destroys him?

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
GHOST DOG OF ROANOKE ISLAND was actually inspired after reading a news article about the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island. To be honest, I don’t remember studying the Lost Colony in school so the story truly intrigued me. I was fascinated by the mystery and my muse went wild coming up with a story of what she believes happened to the missing 117 colonists. I was also appalled by the actions of Sir Richard Grenville and Ralph Lane. They destroyed an entire Native American village simply because he thought one of them stole a silver cup from his ship. This action warranted my muse to create a story evoking the value of acceptance and tolerance and the power of forgiveness.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
The story itself did not take the longest to write. I believe I was done writing it in less than four months. But it was another year before I was pleased with its entirety, after making its rounds through my wonderful on-line critique group, The Middle Critters.

Q) Can you talk about the story's evolution and publishing history?
GHOST DOG OF ROANOKE ISLAND made its way to several agents and publishers. Though a few expressed some interest in the story, I didn’t have a lot of bites. A friend told me MuseItUp had started accepted tween stories so I decided to query Lea Schizas. I’d come to know Lea and respected her quite immensely through her MuseItUp conference. Within two weeks of subbing the manuscript to her, I had my first book contract.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I have two additional books coming out from MuseItUp. A HORSE CALLED TROUBLE is a horse story (of course) for tween girls and comes out in December, 2011. A troubled teen must overcome her abusive past to save the defiant horse that taught her to love and trust again.

THE SECRET OF THE STONES is the first of a series called THE LOST DIARIES OF NORTHUMBERLAND and will make its debut in April of 2012. THE STONES is a much lighter story and is a Harry Potter meets Merlin the Magician kind of story. A Merlin-loving tween is thrust into magic mayhem when the gift he’s been entrusted to protect turns out to be the enchanted object detailed in a mysterious prophecy.

Q) Where can readers find you?
My readers can contact me at ckvolnek (at) yahoo (dot) com.
They can join me on my web page or visit me at my blog.
They can also find me on Facebook (C.K. Volnek) or Twitter (CKVolnek), Good Reads and Jacket Flap.
My book trailer is on youtube.
My books are available at the MuseItUp Book Store, as well as Amazon and many other fine book locations on-line.

Thanks Pembroke, for allowing me to join you today! And remember everyone… I’m offering a FREE copy of my e-book or a free t-shirt to one lucky reader who leaves me a comment!

C.K. Volnek




I also have a guest post up here. Check it out! I talk about contests I had with my brother growing up.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)