Since I was traveling on Friday, I missed out reading my blogs. But, my friend Tamara made sure she sent me this one. I was a little shocked and sad when I first saw it, even though he rejected my story twice (who hasn't?). I mean, now there is one less agent in the field who accepts my genre. This, coupled with some news I received a few months ago about another agent leaving to be at home with an ailing father got me thinking: what is the fate of the publishing world coming to?

As many of you know, I'm a dramatist. I make things into bigger deals than they need to be. I'm sure that these two agents leaving reflects nothing on the publishing world as a whole. People change jobs all the time; they burn out or just find something that pays better. Sometimes they switch agencies in a matter of weeks (yes, this happened to me with an agent who was interested in my book a while ago. It was weird). But, with the state of the publishing world right now (it isn't faring very well and sales are down), it makes you say hmmmm.

It's nice to think that the stale, traditional mode of publishing will stay the same and we'll always need agents, but it's hard to say. After all, ebooks are really gaining in popularity. Self publishing is becoming a bit more respectable. I was reading Piers Anthony's newsletter yesterday, and he reviews books by self published authors (I need to figure out how to send him something! Even though mine wasn't self published, he still might read it). He believes that self publishing is a good thing. If more and more authors start to take this route, it could definitely change the industry. Same with going with a small publisher. Not always, but a lot of the times, the indie publishers are more up on new technologies and ways to get books into the hands of readers. The one I met down at Mile Hi Con had apps for your phone so the book could be downloaded, but it also had a feature with it being read to you. It was interactive and you could skip around in the book, see a summary of the chapter, go to links, and when you wanted to get back to the spot you left, it took you right back. It was pretty cool. Can a traditional publisher do that? Of course, but finding the wording for a contract and working out the rights is still a sticky situation. It will be interesting to follow this trend and see where it leads.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)