Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chapter 1 of the new novel is done. I thought I would feel a bit more excited, but I'm having a grumpy day today. Everything is making me pissy, so I'm having some confidence issues with the story. Hopefully, I'll be able to work them out. Maybe I still need a few days off.

As I was writing this chapter, it occurred to me that I don't know how to write omniscient narrator. Most of my stories occur from one perspective, and that follows through to the end of the book. For this novel, I need to have perspectives from both my main characters. I start out in the female's POV, then at the end of the chapter, switch to the males. I put in * * * so you know it's a POV change, but I'm wondering if this is the right way to do it. I was trying to remember how other authors I've read handled this situation, but I couldn't think of any (I'm very tired and have a headache--my brain has just shut off). Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I think that sounds great! I've also heard that you want to set up the pattern in the first bit of the novel, so if you're going to keep a single POV per chapter, set up the expectation in the first few. I've heard it said you want to "teach your reader how to read your book" in the first couple of chapters.