Movie Review Monday

Well, as I'm sure you can tell, I didn't post on Friday.  I was having such a relaxing day, I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and stuffed yourself beyond belief but also enjoyed hanging out with your families.

We watched two movies this weekend. 

The Watch (2012)

My spouse started watching this movie on his phone on our way to Vegas.  Occasionally, I would glance over his shoulder at the screen, but I didn't have earphones, so I had no idea what was going on.  Even in silence, though, I was entertained by what I saw.  We decided to watch it on the big screen this weekend.  It was funny.  It wasn't roll on the floor pee your pants funny, but it had its moments. 

The story is about Evan, who decides to form a neighborhood watch after one of his employees is murdered.  Only three other guys show up, and they want to have fun, not actually work.  While investigating the murder, it becomes apparent that aliens have landed.

I'm not going to give too much away because you have to watch it to enjoy the nuances.  I did laugh a few times, and the aliens were really cool.  A lot of times in comedies, the way the creature looks is secondary, but not here.  I was very impressed with the creature.  It helped make the movie for me.

I recommend this film if you like Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill, or Vince Vaughn.  They were great!  Even if you don't, check it out.  It was a great "guy" film and had some amusing moments.

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

I have wanted to see this film since I first saw the preview.  Ask my boys, they'll tell you.  Every time a commercial came on TV, they'd look at me and say, "You want to see that movie really bad, don't you?"  So we took them this weekend.

I loved this film.  It was different and fun and didn't insult anyone's intelligence, kids included.  It proposed a different history for Jack Frost, the Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny, and I really enjoyed what they did.  There was action and adventure and a bad guy that needed to be defeated.

The animation was amazing, the characters fantastic, and there was humor.  It held the boys' interest, which is sometimes hard to do with a 3 and 5 year old, and they kept their 3D glasses on the entire time!  A feat that rarely happens.  Like I said, there was a bad guy, but he wasn't overly scary.  My kids weren't bothered by him at all.  A child sitting behind me was a little freaked out when Pitch was on screen, but it turned out all right.

The movie examined kids' hopes, dreams, and fears and showed that all of them were OK to have.  It's all right to be afraid, but there are ways to overcome it.  It's all right to believe in make believe creatures because they are the essence of childhood.  I really enjoyed the wonder and enchantment that the characters brought to the screen, but I also liked how they kicked butt and were willing to fight to save the children.

I'm definitely going to buy this film, both for me and the kids.  It was fun and entertaining.  I totally recommend seeing it, even if you don't have kids.  It brings back a lot of memories and lets you reimagine your childhood heroes!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)