Movie Review Monday

I watched two movies this weekend. I would like to say it was a laid-back weekend, but it wasn't. We were very busy. The movies were my only form of relaxation!

Priest (2011)

From the first moment I saw this trailer, I knew I wanted to see this movie in the theater. I have to say, I was not disappointed.

It's a vampire story, but a different kind of vampire story. Instead of being humans that have been cursed, they are a separate species that evolved alongside man. Humans and vampires are in constant battle with one another, and the vampires always win because they are stronger and faster. Then, the Priests show up. They are our only saving grace. After the war, the humans are forced to live in the cities, so the church can protect them, and the vampires are placed on reservations. The vampires decide to rise again, and they kidnap Lucy, who is the niece of a Priest. Going against the Church's wishes, he leaves the city to save his family.

The film was a combination of several different genres, including Western, Science Fiction, Horror, Creature, Martial Arts, Steam Punk, and probably a few others that I'm missing. On top of that, it was a great social commentary about the Crusades and religion and faith, but I won't get into that right now.

I really enjoyed the film. Visually, it was stunning. It definitely had the feel of a graphic novel. The plot was well done and had a great twist in it (part of the twist I figured out from the beginning, but it was pretty obvious!). The creatures were interesting, and the bad guy was wonderful (although, I probably biased because of the actor who played him. I love him!). I highly recommend this movie.

Saw 3D (AKA Saw 7) (2010)

The beautiful thing about the first Saw film was that it was different. It shocked audiences with graphic displays of torture and cruelty, but it still had a plot line. The villain was especially devious because he orchestrated the pain, but never actually committed it. If the victims wanted to survive, they had to hurt themselves. It twisted who the audience sympathized with and the perceptions of right and wrong.

The other films weren't too bad, but by the time you get to this one, it's pretty much played itself out. It still has a decent plot, and it ties up all the loose ends nicely, but it's been done. The shock value has pretty much worn off. It's grotesque and gory with violence and chocked full of deaths, but that's about it.

If you enjoy the Saw movies, I'm sure you'd enjoy this one because it answers everything. And I'm sure if I had watched them from the beginning, it would have made more sense. I found myself struggling to remember little details from the first film. All in all, I didn't feel like I wasted my time, but I am glad they (probably) aren't making any more.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)