We had a book club meeting last night. It was wonderful. We discussed "True Grit" and ate a whole bunch of food. We always try to come up with a food theme that matches with the book, so for this we did food that we'd eat on the trail. I made beef stew, others brought corn doggers, scalloped potatoes, cherry cobbler, and apple pie. Oh, there was baked beans and some other stuff, too. It was really good.

The book was all right, too. If you've seen the movie, it is pretty much the same thing. Dialogue was taken directly from the book. The story had very little variation. It was a quick, easy read, but it wasn't simplistic. If you like Westerns and reading, you'd probably like this book.

I really enjoyed parts of the book, such as the dialect and Mattie's character and her outlook on life. But I did think it was a little slow. It's not really my genre, but I finished the book. That says a lot. There have been many book club books I've started and didn't like so I didn't finish them. If I don't like something, I won't finish it. I'm not one of those people who feels obligated to finish reading a book once I start. I don't have enough time.

So, if you have a spare moment, pick up "True Grit." It's an entertaining story and will pass some time.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)