Thursday, March 18, 2010

I thought I would fill you in on my excursion. My mother-in-law (who is an absolutely wonderful woman and I am very lucky to have her) wanted to go visit her daughter and invited me and the kids to go, so we packed into the car. The drive itself was only supposed to take 10 hours, but with a 3 year old who is potty training, it ended up taking us 11.5. Most of the time, I'm pretty sure he said he had to go to the bathroom just to get out of the car, but I digress. My spouse thought it would be safer if we traveled with the gun (we take separate vacations. Don't ask, it's a long story), so we took it. Luckily, we didn't need to use it, but it was there should the occasion arise (there were some sketchy looking individuals at some of the rest stops we stopped at...).

We finally made it to our destination at about 8:00 at night. My sister-in-law had been waiting for us to eat, so we unloaded some of the car at the hotel and then packed the kids back in and headed to the restaurant. Dinner was fabulous, if not a little long, so we didn't get back into the car until 9:30. By this time, the 13 month old was exhausted and not handling things well, so he had a little fit and passed out in the car. When we got back to the hotel, it took both kids a while to settle down, so they didn't fall asleep until 10. I was trying to unload the rest of the stuff from the car, and I had the gun in my hand with a bunch of other sh*t. Something clunked onto the floor, and I realized it was the weapon. Of course, the safety was off and one was in the chamber (my spouse wanted me to be ready if I needed to shoot someone). Thankfully, it didn't go off. Apparently (luckily), they have safety features built into them so they don't go off if dropped. After my heart stopped pounding and my adrenaline ran its course, both of us adults crashed.

As I mentioned earlier, my mother-in-law has to wear a breathing machine because she has sleep apnea, and when that's not hissing away, she snores. It was a long night, but fortunately, the kids slept in the next day. Sunday was a lazy day, and we tried to relax, but that's impossible with two little ones. That night, we went swimming with the boys' cousin, who is 12, but us adults were so tired we just sat on the deck. The 12 year old had already gotten out of the pool, and the 3 year old was dinking around on the steps, so he fell in and went under. I stepped onto the first step but couldn't reach him, so his cousin jumped back in and saved him. As you can imagine, both of us were shaking when he got out of the water, and not from the cold.

After the first two days, I stopped trying to kill people. My mother-in-law decided to get the adjoining room so it would be a little quieter (she couldn't sleep because she was so worried about keeping everyone else awake with her breathing machine and snoring) and we had a lot more room. The last two days of the vacation were fabulous! We had a wonderful trip up the mountain in a gondola (there were sides and a door so I couldn't accidentally push anyone out), and the boys got to play at a local park (not that fun, there was 2.5 feet of snow on the ground and the 13 month old was CRANKY!). Then came the 11.5-hour drive home, and I threatened to leave my kids on the side of the road. Luckily for them, I'm all talk.

I finally got some proofing of my novel done, and I think I'm on schedule to send the rewrite either on Friday or Saturday.

No comments: